Friday, February 17, 2012

Anti-Smoking Ads That Won't Work

I just finished watching this clever anti-smoking video, and I've come to an important self- realization about Smoking Blows. This film's creators are right about my efforts. No matter how frightening, witty, clever, humorous, or thought-provoking an entry that I post on this blog, it's very unlikely to convince anyone to quit smoking, or to convince anyone to never begin smoking.

What helped finally convince me that I was wasting my time here was that I couldn't find any follow-up what-so-ever to this video's municipal anti-smoking event posted on the internet - nothing about what happened at the event, nothing about how many people attended, nothing about it's rate of success or failure, or any plans to continue the fight. Even the link advertising the event is dead. It was like this event never existed, or never really mattered.

Smokers know the risks and costs associated with their addiction, but until each individual smoker makes that conscious decision to stop smoking, nothing anyone says to them will ever convince them to quit. Replacement smokers will always be found because, for whatever excuse, apathetic parents will continue to stand by and allow their children to start smoking and become nicotine addicts. There's nothing I can do to change it.


Source: Red Duck Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment